Core Surgical Skills Knot Tying Module
AAVMC Standards: 2.1
Institutional Licensing Available: $3,000/unlimited users
This course provides the novice surgeon with detailed instructions on basic knot-tying techniques, including instrument and hand-ties. Using a combination of interactive media, students will learn the fundamental principles of knot tying, while a series of practice exercises helps prepare students for face-to-face surgery labs.
With an approximate contact time of 4 hours, Core Surgical Skills II: Knot Tying with Instruments and Hands includes the following:
- The 3-steps of knot construction
- Security, suture materials & slippage
- Gathering & sliding suture
- Square knot
- Surgeon’s knot
- Slip knot
- Instrument ties
- Hand ties
- One-hand technique
- Two-hand technique
- Deep two-hand technique
- Independent activities help students practice skills before attending labs.
- Lab guides help instructors evaluate and track student mastery of skills.
- Formative: Interactive practice exercises at the end of lessons pro- vide students with opportunities to apply the material and receive feedback on their performance.
- Summative: Graded exams at the end of modules provide students with opportunities to demonstrate content mastery and report scores to faculty.